In comparison to previous generations, technology has drastically changed the way we communicate with each other around the world. In fact, the changes have been so significant that traditional types of communications like letters, telegraphs and even phone calls are becoming extinct. Through these advancements in technology, we now have more control over how we communicate than ever before, and have more options.
More Communication Options
Technology has really opened up more ways for us to communicate with others. Whether it’s personal or professional communication, we now have many options to choose from. And, the great thing about all of these options is that we can choose what’s best for our needs without being tied down to just one method.
Perhaps, the most notable technological advancement that has changed the way we communicate with others is video chats, messages or conferences. It makes talking to friends and family more personal. For businesses, video conferences make it easier to see what’s going on, view charts and data, view presentations and more. The following are just a few examples of video communication:
- Skype – this is one of the most popular ways for personal and professional video communication. Talk to other Skype members for free, share information and more.
- FaceTime – the iPhone doesn’t even require an app like Skype to video chat. All you need is another iPhone user to communicate with via video.
- Apps and tools like Slack or Cisco WebEx are great examples of video conferencing at its finest. They can also be used to manage and increase workflow.
It started with text messaging and has only improved from there. We can now send a text message within seconds and add images, emojis and other effects to friends and family members around the world. If you have compatible smartphones, like two iPhones, you can send iMessages which has plenty of options for personalizing your messages. Other examples of faster communication are:
- FB Messenger – Hundreds of millions of people around the world have Facebook. An easy way to communicate quickly with other FB users is through their FB Messenger app. Send messages, videos, images, emojis and more.
- Voxer – This app is like having your own walkie talkie. It requires that both parties are using this app. With just one tap, your message will be sent lightning fast. Additionally, you can send audio or video messages in a moment’s notice. It’s a great tool for businesses with mobile reps.
In the past, we were locked into one of the few traditional phone companies and a slave to their rates. Especially, with regards to international phone calls. Let’s also not forget how traveling outside your country can also rack up roaming charges. Nowadays, we don’t even have to worry about any of these fees because we have communication options like the following:
- WhatsApp – With this app, you can send unlimited messages, enjoy group chats, send messages from your web browser, call friends and family members who also have this app, which includes free international calls.
- WeChat – This app is similar to WhatsApp as it also offers free messages, voice or video calls, group chats, desktop chat, and will even translate messages into your local language.
Social Media has not only changed the way we communicate, but it has also revolutionized our daily lives in many ways like web browsing, connecting with others and getting the news. For example, we can get news quicker via Social Media than traditional outlets and we’re always informed on what’s trending throughout the world. Additionally, we can interact with our favorite celebrities and never miss any Hollywood gossip.
Social Media has also taught us how to communicate within a number of characters like Twitter or through video clips like Snap Chat. Additionally, we’ve been taught how to express ourselves and our businesses through images via Instagram. We can’t overlook how hashtags have also impacted the way we express ourselves and look up content, thanks to companies like Twitter and Instagram.
What Does the Future Hold?
One can only imagine how technology will continue to evolve the way we communicate. With video and lightning fast messaging, we are already connected to others in a moment’s notice no matter where they’re located in the world. It’s a safe bet that speed will continue to impact the advancements of communication tech. One area that we can hope will become available in the near future is holographic communications.