block.one , a developer of blockchain technologies for businesses, today announced it is developing open source software for EOS, a new blockchain operating system designed to support commercial decentralized applications.
The software being developed for EOS plans to use the asynchronous communication of smart contracts and parallel processing in order to support thousands of applications and millions of transactions on the blockchain simultaneously.
The software behind EOS is also being designed to enable applications that don’t require users to pay for every transaction, making it possible to create freemium applications. This enables new blockchain users to get involved without having to navigate the complex process of purchasing a cryptocurrency.
“Existing applications such as exchanges and social media already service millions of customers daily and require a platform that can process hundreds of thousands of transactions per second. With EOS, we are building software to allow businesses to build their applications using an architecture similar to modern website frameworks. This would allow a whole range of businesses to use the blockchain, similar to the way that the computing era exploded after Microsoft Windows enabled developers to build interoperable software,” said Brendan Blumer, block.one CEO. “Corporations that build applications on top of EOS can take advantage of the security, authenticity and transparency of the blockchain to build and support global-scale decentralized projects.”
Currently block.one is comprised of a team of over 35 people, including blockchain veterans:
- Brendan Blumer, CEO: Involved in the blockchain industry since 2014, Brendan is a serial entrepreneur who has built businesses including trading of virtual currencies in MMORPGs in the US, okay.com in Hong Kong and 1Group in India.
- Daniel Larimer, CTO: A serial entrepreneur focusing on innovative technologies ranging from virtual reality simulators to second-generation crypto currencies, most notably BitShares. Dan is a specialist in software development and the inventor of the widely adopted “Proof of Stake” and “Decentralized Autonomous Corporations” concepts.
- Brock Pierce, Chief Strategy Officer: A venture capitalist and entrepreneur who pioneered the market for digital currency in games and has raised more than $200 million for companies he founded. Brock is the Chairman of the Bitcoin Foundation, and co-founder of Blockchain Capital, among others.
- Ian Grigg, advisor: A financial cryptographer who has been building cryptographic ledger platforms for over 20 years, Ian is the inventor of the Ricardian Contract and the co-inventor of Triple-Entry Accounting.
Latest posts by Kirstie Magowan (see all)
- World Blockchain Summit Heads to Frankfurt in June - May 22, 2018
- BigPanda Brings New Capabilities to Cloud Platform - May 17, 2018
- Freshworks – Aiming to “Take over Las Vegas” during Knowledge18 - May 8, 2018