Looking for a Node.js developer? Read on to get a few tips for hiring the best Node.js developers
Node.js has steadily and surely become popular ever since it was released in 2009. Many big companies such as Netflix, Trello, NASA, Yahoo, etc., have started using Node.js in their operations because of its many advantages, and this does not exempt small businesses or startups.
Node.js can do several things like web development, generate dynamic page content, create, open, write, delete, and close files on the server, collect form data and add or modify data in your database. Also, Node.js is used for real-time applications like chats, news feeds, and web push notifications.
Node.js is easy to use and useful for IoT applications, collaborative tools, data streaming apps, and applications relying on scalability. So having a Node.js developer in your company is essential.
However, getting the best developer might be a little challenging. Therefore, this article provides tips that will make hiring the best Node.js developers easier.
Five tips for hiring the best Node.js developers
These are the top tips for hiring the best Node.js developers for your organization.
- Test for Node.js skills
The Node.js developer you choose for your business should possess certain skills that distinguish them from average Node.js developers. Test gorilla offers a well-developed test that allows you to evaluate your candidates’ skills in Node.js.
This quiz ensures you hire the best developers for your business. The test evaluates the candidate’s knowledge and skills in Node.js API. Also, this quiz helps you to access the candidates’ architectural vision and best use practices when it comes to Node.js development.
TestGorilla’s Node.js test helps identify and determine candidates with the best practical experience. The skills covered by this test include:
- Setting up Node.js and related tools
- Implementing and recognizing various design patterns
- Choosing the best architectural approach for applications, e.g., IoT applications
- Building of Node.js APIs
So, it is advisable to test for Node.js skills when hiring your next developer.
- Search reputable job boards and sites
Job boards and websites are great for searching for the best Node.js developers. Job boards are websites where job seekers find openings and employers advertise vacancies.
Also, job boards help create an initial connection between recruiters and job seekers. Examples of top reputable job boards are:
- Indeed: It was founded in 2004 with a simple mission to help people find jobs. Since its inception, it has become the largest job website globally. It has over 250 million monthly users and adds ten new job listings every second.
- Glassdoor: This website was created in 2008, and it is one of the best job boards for employer research. It provides salary transparency and honest company reviews to prospective employees. Glassdoor has over 1.9 million employers, 100 million company reviews and insights, and over 11 million job listings on its database.
- Toptal: This is one of the most widely known services with thousands of developers, coders, programmers, engineers, etc. This site has various Node.js experts who have experience with all industries.
Also, Toptal has a strict screening process that allows fewer than 3% out of the thousands who apply to join their community. So, by using Toptal to search for Node.js developers, you will get the best talents.
- DevTeam.Space: This is a community of top developers supported by an AI-powered agile process. This platform is an invite-only kind of platform that consists of a community of the best developers in the world. DevTeam has a superb matching and vetting process that helps you find the perfect candidate.
- Outsourcing to Node.js development agencies
Outsourcing your Node.js development project to a Node.js development agency is a great way to get the best talents. A Node.js development agency consists of highly skilled and professional developers. There are several advantages from outsourcing, and they include:
- It is cost-effective: When you outsource, you save a ton of money because you don’t have to pay for downtime, recruitment, training, health insurance, and other employee benefits. You can then use this money to develop your business even more.
- You have access to the best talents: Because Node.js development agencies have already hired the best Node.js developers, outsourcing gives you access to these people.
- Saves time: A lot of time and effort goes into the recruitment, training, and onboarding of Node.js developers. But, when you outsource your project to a Node.js development agency, you will cut down on time spent on integrating new staff.
- Employee referral programs
Employee referral programs are the best ways to hire the most suitable talents. So, when searching for the best Node.js developers, employee referral programs may be the most reasonable choice.
An employee referral program is a recruiting strategy that employers use to get some of the best talents in the industry. Business owners encourage existing employees to suggest or refer qualified candidates for open positions.
Employers then reward employees who participate in the referral program with money, bonuses, care packages, etc. There are many benefits for using employee referral programs to hire Node.js developers for your company:
- You get the best candidate for the position
- Increase in employee retention
- You get a more engaged workforce (both current and prospective employees)
- Reduced hiring time and recruitment costs
- Increased productivity
- It boosts employer brand and company culture
- Create a suitable work environment
Node.js developers have specific requirements for the type of environment they can work in. if your business does not meet these requirements, you may find it challenging to attract top developers.
However, top developers will feel motivated to join your team if you have a great working environment. Also, it would be best if you were willing to provide the necessary tools for your developers to carry out their duties efficiently.
For instance, a Node.js developer will most times be seated at the computer, so you need to provide comfortable seating arrangements for them. Also, you should ensure there is appropriate lighting, an ergonomic mouse, a quiet environment, etc.
Apart from attracting an excellent Node.js developer, a suitable working environment will increase productivity and ensure you get a well-developed Node.js project.
What to look out for when hiring Node.js developers
Due to the popularity of Node.js today, there are many Node.js developers in the market. So, choosing the most suitable for your company may be confusing. Below are the main attributes you should look for when hiring Node.js developers.
- Practical experience
The Node.js developer you choose for your business should have enough experience with Node.js and all its components. It reduces the time needed to train the person.
Also, experience with Node.js assures you that the candidate can build the product effectively without any hassle. So, the candidate you go for should have at least 2 to 3 years of practical experience with Node.js development.
- Database management
Database management is an important skill to watch for when hiring a Node.js developer, especially if your business or application requires a lot of data. This is because the database is the heart of an app or software.
So, the developer should be able to handle numerous databases and should be able to integrate them when necessary. They should also know how to use different database management systems and maintain data security at all times.
- Code integration
Many developers save time using the codes already written to solve the same problem. So, when hiring Node.js developers, it is crucial to ensure the individual can efficiently interact, engage, and integrate this code with the existing systems. Also, the developer should be able to write efficient, readable, and compliant code.
- Familiarity with front-end and back-end technologies
It is not enough if the Node.js developer knows front-end technologies; they must also be familiar with the back-end. This proves that they have enough expertise to provide you with excellent applications.
On the other hand, back-end development refers to the server-side of the application or website and everything that communicates between the browser and database.
- Possession of soft skills
Apart from the above technical skills, the Node.js developer should also possess soft skills. Soft skills are those personal traits that enable someone to interact effectively with others.
A Node.js developer will work with others and collaborate to develop the project, so you need to look out for soft skills like patience, teamwork, communication skills, etc.
Node.js developers are a crucial part of developing several applications. So, as a business owner who provides software and websites for consumers, you need a skilled Node.js developer on your team.
This article has made the hiring and selection process easier by providing tips on hiring the best Node.js developers and the qualities you should look for when choosing one.