Sure, I know this story is a shameless publicity drive for the company involved, but I have to say I do like what they are trying to do. Bullying and downright nastiness on social media platforms seems to reach new lows every day, so anything that might make people think twice before putting someone else down has to be a good thing!
Einstein Bros.® Bagels announced today a campaign to make social media a happier place after a survey conducted by Wakefield Research for the brand revealed 65 percent of Americans see negative comments or posts on social media every day, with nine in 10 distancing themselves from disparaging posts or taking a break from social media altogether. In conjunction with the launch of Shmearfuls, bite-sized, Shmear-filled bagel snacks that come in six mix-and-match flavors, America’s largest bagel retail company has decided enough is enough and is taking action with a Shmear Campaign aimed at wiping out negativity to brighten the everyday.
As part of the Shmear Campaign, the breakfast destination is urging consumers to transform online negativity into smiles by adding “shm” in front of negative words, for example changing ugly, mad, or rotten turn into “shmugly,” “shmad” or “shmotten.” As an incentive to join in the Shmear Campaign, Einstein Bros.® Bagels is offering consumers a coupon for a free Shmearful with purchase when they send a compliment to a friend, family member or even a stranger on Twitter using #ShmearCampaignPromo.
“It’s nearly impossible to scroll through social media these days without feeling the burden of negative comments,” said Kerry Coyne, Einstein Bros.® Bagels SVP of Marketing, R&D, and Catering. “To celebrate our new Shmearfuls line of fun and crave-worthy snacks, we are embracing our ‘Better Day, Better World’ mantra and encouraging consumers to wipe out negativity and replace it with something that will make people shmile.”
Beyond shmearing joy and positivity on social media, Einstein Bros.® Bagels is implementing a Frenemies Eat Free event, urging guests to “break bagels” and turn frenemies into friends. On Aug. 8, any consumer who visits a participating Einstein Bros.® Bagels location with a “frenemy” (an enemy turned friend or even just a friend) can take advantage of a Buy One, Get One deal on Shmearfuls by using the code words “Shmear Joy” at the counter. Additionally, Einstein Bros.® Bagels is partnering with Ditch the Label, one of the world’s largest anti-bullying charities, to support kids and young adults who have been personally affected by online bullying. For each Shmearful purchased at participating Einstein Bros.® Bagels locations between Sept. 11 and Sept. 17, Einstein Bros. will donate $1 to assist with Ditch The Label’s charitable endeavors in the U.S.
You can read more articles on the subject of Social Media here
Eric T. Tung
Latest posts by Eric T. Tung (see all)
- Smartphone Loss – Here are Key Strategies to have it Returned Safely - June 26, 2018
- Knowledge18 – Keep up with the Buzz by Following these Accounts - May 6, 2018
- Manage your Facebook Presence Effectively - April 26, 2018
- 5 Top IT Security Bloggers to Follow in 2019 208 views
- 5 Top Data Science Bloggers to Follow in 2019 96 views
- 5 Big Data Predictions for 2019 86 views
- 5 Great BPM Software Solutions 76 views
- 5 Top IoT Influencers to Follow in 2019 61 views
- Have You Been Good This Year? 3 Things Companies DON’T Want in Their Christmas Stocking 44 views
- What Do Marketers Need in Their Christmas Stocking? A Strategy and Budget for 2019 42 views
- How Do Big Companies Collect Customer Data? 28 views
- 5 Great Tools for Increased Employee Engagement 20 views
- 5 Great Human Resource Information System (HRIS) Solutions Compared 8 views