More business-to-consumer (B2C) companies value social media compared to business-to-business (B2B) companies, according to a new survey from Clutch, a leading B2B ratings and reviews firm, and Smart Insights.
The findings indicate a growing consumer preference to make purchasing decisions based on their social activity, a reality that favors B2C companies.
Nearly 60% of the B2C companies surveyed report that social media helps increase their revenue and sales, compared to 46% of B2B companies. Experts say the current environment is ideal for consumers and the B2C businesses that have a presence there.
“it makes more sense for B2C companies because of the mindset people are in when they’re on social media,” said Steve Pearson, CEO of Friendemic. “They’re in consumer mode, not business mode.”
B2C companies prefer consumer-focused channels, such as Facebook and YouTube, while B2B companies prefer LinkedIn and Twitter because they can easily target other businesses.
B2C companies (82%) also tend to post more original content than B2Bs (74%).
“B2B lends itself to curated content, where brands can help their audience by sharing curated news and best practice content to help individuals develop their skills and careers,” said Smart Insights CEO Dave Chaffey. “In B2C, there is less scope for sharing news and advice, so instead, brands tend to share more original content related to their products and services.”
B2B businesses typically use social media with the objective of becoming an authority in their respective industry, while B2C companies are driven to influence customers to buy something.
The study also identifies the content that engages consumers best—articles, videos, and images—and the challenges social media marketers face, such as not having enough resources and problems with refining social media efforts into a formal strategy.
Clutch’s 2017 Social Media Survey included 344 marketers at companies from around the world with more than 10 employees; the respondents are split evenly between B2B companies and B2C companies.
Read the full report here: https://clutch.co/agencies/social-media-marketing/resources/social-media-survey-2017.
Source – PR Newswire
Eric T. Tung
Latest posts by Eric T. Tung (see all)
- Smartphone Loss – Here are Key Strategies to have it Returned Safely - June 26, 2018
- Knowledge18 – Keep up with the Buzz by Following these Accounts - May 6, 2018
- Manage your Facebook Presence Effectively - April 26, 2018
- GDPR – A Quick Q+A 112 views
- Is Python the Best Programming Language for Startups? 23 views
- State of Work 2018 Report 18 views
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency – A disrupting force to the banking Industry? 15 views
- What’s the Best Programming Language for Machine Learning Applications? 15 views
- The Impact of Driverless Technology on Independent Driving Jobs 14 views
- The Connected Home – How Secure Are Your Gadgets? 12 views
- How Blockchain Could Dramatically Change Politics 11 views
- TWiTIoT: This Week in The Internet of Things – Arm-ing the IoT: Rule, Britannia? 10 views
- The State of Peer-to-Peer Payment Apps 9 views